Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 7 - Thoughts on Exercise

One thing I don't think I appreciated regarding the juice fast is the impact of exercise on my body. In general, I feel like I've tolerated the fast very well, physically. This weekend, though, I discovered one of the under-appreciated facts of this dietary change, my energy tank ain't what it used to be.

On Saturday and Sunday, we went trail riding & hiking at Latta Plantation. For the first half of the time spent, I was fine. But then I noticed my stamina starting to fade a bit. My guess is that what little glycogen my body had in it was pretty much spent at that point, and fat just doesn't metabolize like sugar does. At least I'm hoping it was grabbing fat and not catabolizing muscle.

Of course, both events occurred on days when I likely wasn't drinking as much juice as I should, and I have little doubt that played a role in my fatigue. It also affected my hydration levels, adding another drag on my energy levels.

All in all, pretty easy lessons to learn, though. And being down 11 pounds after 6 days definitely makes the down sides a little easier to take. I just need to take better care of my hydration levels, juice more to account for any additional exercise, and I think I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment